Saturday, August 23, 2014

Malaysia part1: Kuala Lumpur

So, after one joyful day in Singapore I took a night train to yet another big city - Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur. My train arrived around 9AM and as I managed to get decent sleep in the train I was quite ready to see something even that day. But the first task was to find the hostel where Ben was staying, which appeared to be bigger challenge than I thought..

After nice little wander in smoking hot weather with my fucking heavy backpack full of winter stuff from New Zealand (I got so pissed off in that moment that I've sent 8kg of my stuff home the next day) I managed to find the hostel and meet up with this clown again.. The picture is from Batu caves where we went right after my arrival to KL.

Huge hindu statue at the entrance to Batu caves

Inside Batu caves

I did a little bit of shopping in KL (shorts, shirt and flip-flops) at this place - Petaling street in Chinatown - the place where you can get the real Rolex for 5 bucks.

One evening we went with couple of guys from the hostel to the helipad bar to watch the sunset with KL skyscrapers. It was really nice as there were no railings at all so you got a nice clean 360 view over KL.

KL tower and some cocktail on sunset

Petronas twin towers from distance

Petronas towers close-up

"Ben, why is the Malaysian flag similar to American??"
"Ehmmmm... because we're the best?!"


KL city model in the museum

So, I guess I have to compare KL and Singapore here after my previous post.. And I must say I liked KL much better. Why? It has a soul. All the bums, rubbish, street-food stands etc. are creating an atmosphere and 'smell' that you inhale and that will allow you to keep the memories of the place. Singapore missed any form of expression or smell. Singapore is like a person unable of expressing any kind of emotion. Just a poker face. So KL is definitely winner in this battle for me. Still not a fan of big cities though ;) 

As I'm writing this I'm  already in Georgetown, the second biggest city of Malaysia located on Penang island known mostly for its great food and laid back lifestyle. We will spend here probably 2-3 days and then move to the Langkawi island. In total I would like to dedicate around 2 weeks to Malaysia..


No comments:

Post a Comment