Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Express sightseeing in Singapore

I'm not a fan of big cities (in fact I really don't like them).
I'm not a fan of big crowds.
I'm not a fan of hot and humid city air.
I'm not a fan of air conditioning.
I'm not a fan of subway (I mean it definitely is great invention and very effective and fast, but I just don't like the feeling of loosing connection with whole world during the commute)
I'm not a fan of business meetings in fancy restaurants.
I'm not a fan of dressing up.
I'm not a fan of shopping.
I'm not a fan of total order and things running too perfectly.

And now, can somebody tell me, why the fuck did I decide to go to Singapore?!

I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a nice experience and I'm glad I've been there, but half a day in big city after long long time totally reminded me how I don't miss it... 

Here is why:
First of all, most of the time in Singapore I've spent under ground (unwillingly). Great! 
Second thing that I realized is, that people look much less happy and are totally anti-social and inhumane. Example: when walking in subway, you are passing thousands of people. Sometimes you get into eye contact. The automatic reflex I developed is crack a smile at everyone. I just realized it here though.. Because in NZ and Indonesia, people would do the same and that's why you have no reason to think about it... In Singapore I could count the people who smiled back on one hand probably.. Majority of the people would give me a weird look and get back to their smartphone screen or not notice me at all...
And the smartphones are the next thing - I regret that I don't have a picture from the subway train now... 99% of the people traveling by subway in Singapore would chat, play, do god knows what with their smartphones during the ride (well, even during walking)... I've seen exactly 0 books, 1 newspaper and barely some conversation.. Sad...
And the last thing is the unbelievable huge amount of consume. Basically whole underground system in Singapore is one big mall. It is just unbelievable and indescribable how many shops with expensive stuff the people don't really need is there and people actually go and enjoy spending time there and wasting their money.. I really couldn't get this... 
So, to summarize it, the main reason why I don't like big cities like Singapore is: they are way too impersonal and make me feel lonely (even though they are full of people).

I guess you deserve some pictures after reading those whining words:

Getting ready for the F1 grand prix

Esplanade theatres

Financial district skyline from Esplanade

Marina bay hotel and mall + arts gallery

Marina bay 'gardens'

Chinatown

Chinatown again

ion orchard - one of the endless number of huge malls (I had a feeling you can get lost there for days. It was really big challenge to find the way out sometimes - because the subway stations were located somewhere deep inside of these monstrous objects)

Inside one of the malls (I think it's Marina bay).. Crazy shit like huge ice rink or water channels with gondolas inside the malls. Well, why not, right?

Skyline at night

Marina bay at night

So, as written above, I'm glad to have experienced this circus, but also glad that it was so fast... I'm already in Kuala Lumpur, so another big city, but at least you don't get the sterile feeling here and you can smell some character and atmosphere of the city. I met up with Ben again and we gonna start the tour around Malaysia from here...


No comments:

Post a Comment