Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day-off under Aoraki/Mt Cook

On the days when the weather is rough up on Mt. Dobson, I either work down in Peter's workshop, or if there is not much to do there, I simply get a day-off. :) This happened two times last and this week and I was lucky that I had some friends (Alan and Matthieu) visiting me at that time, so we could plan something (if I was alone, I doubt that I would even get out of the bed during the whole day ;)). So, Monday I got a day-off, we checked what possibilities there are and miraculously the weather forecast for Mt. Cook national park was good (this doesn't mean too much though as forecasting the weather in NZ mountains might be one of the hardest jobs ever). But anyways, we gave it a go and what seemed unbelievable to me got true. I finally saw the highest NZ peak - Aoraki/Mt. Cook (after driving by for the 6th or 7th time..). Moreover, as the weather was really nice, we did not stay only watching, but also did 2 small treks in the surrounding valleys:

Aoraki/Mt Cook - the summit still covered in clouds, but this is probably as good as it gets (at least for me..) When leaving the valley, we even saw the peak without any clouds for few seconds, but it got covered immediately again..

 Hooker valley - with this name, of course we needed to go and see what is waiting for us there ;)

Alan and Mat passing one of the swing bridges in Hooker valley

Hooker valley expedition at the end of the trek (me, Matthieu, Alan). No hookers found :( 

Hooker lake with beautiful icebergs

Tasman valley

With Alan in front of the melting Tasman glacier 


After this day I was really happy that my visit to Mt Cook national park finally worked out well. Now I'm back in work, finishing the preparations for the winter season at Mt Dobson. Mat stayed with me for 2 more days to help us out with putting the chairs on the chairlift and probably will work with me at Mt Dobson during the winter season as well :) I will probably stay here one more week and then head off south to travel some new places and pick up skis that I bought before the winter season starts...

2 comments:

  1. Majkl vyzera to tam supeeeer!!! [a to ja som skor taky ten mestky typ cloveka :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyy miska. Tak to uz musi byt nieco ked to taky urban prototyp pochvali ;) aj ja sem tam zabludim na tvoj blog a confetti vyzeraju stale rovnako dobre ;)

      Delete