Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pre-winter holiday travels

Before we get some decent snow down here so I can start my winter job, I managed to travel a bit and see few of the last places I haven't been to. Although the vast majority of the time I was stuck back in Queenstown partying and doing nothing (I hoped that this time I will keep myself busy by going skiing a lot, but there was one thing missing for the accomplishment of this goal: SNOW). I went skiing twice though and also traveled some beautiful places:

First time on skis in NZ. We decided to hike up Coronet peak skifield with few friends (the only ski area that was open), because paying $100 for skiing on melting artificial snow simply is too much. Despite the fact that the snow conditions sucked, I was incredibly happy to stand on the skis again. (Foto by Dudi)

 Coronet peak summit. Beautiful view over surrounding mountains, unfortunately not much snow in sight :/

I attended an All Blacks vs. England match! Really unforgettable to see live the players do the haka before the match.. And the whole road-trip to Dunedin was legendary as well :)

Milford Sound - breathtaking cruise through the fiord. Stunning views on the surrounding mountains, waterfalls, rocks with seals... Magic. 

Few guys took the close look on one of the Milford Sound's waterfall as an opportunity to take a cold shower.

Mirror lake. 

Lake Wakatipu on the way from Queenstown to Glenorchy.

Glenorchy - small village at the end of lake Wakatipu. Gateway to several mountain hikes - I visited on rainy day and was not too excited to go hiking in those conditions.

At least I have found a friend in Glenorchy -  local dog kept bringing me the stick for throwing :) 

Rainbow gate to the mountains

Arrowtown - quiet charming ex-miners town just outside busy Queenstown

Wanaka - Queenstown's little sister. Much smaller and quieter lakeside town with good skiing options just outside the town (no snow here as well though).

Lake Wanaka on sunset

Lake Wanaka from Rocky mountain that I hiked after heavy rain - not a good idea - the trail was sometimes looking like a river and I was off my feet more than on them.. 



As I'm writing this post, I received a call from my boss that we are starting the pre-season training next Tuesday, which means I have less than 1 week of my pre-winter holiday left... It might sound weird, but I'm really looking forward to start working :)

No comments:

Post a Comment